Tuesday 6 January 2015

One on One With The Former 2nd runner up Miss South Africa 2014,Currently Miss Sundowns 2014,Matlala Mokoko

Meet Matlala Mokoko, the 23 year old who was  born and bred in Ga-Masemola in Limpopo.Matlala is a combination of beauty, brains and talent.She just completed her Honours in Accounting at University of Johannesburg.She has been part of several  fashion shows, photography and beauty pageants.Matlala is also the former 2nd runner up of Miss South Africa 2014.The beautiful Matlala has been crowned Miss Sundowns 2014 at a glittering ceremony held at Midrand Gallagher Estate last week Saturday.

1.Can you tell us a little about yourself and your background 
I am from a small rural area in Limpopo called, Ga-Masemola and I've been in boarding school since the age of 7. I've always loved sport which showed from a young age having been part of the provincial (Limpopo) athletics and netball teams in primary school as well as the provincial (Gauteng) and national netball and Basketball teams in high school and playing on a senior level too. I have just completed my Honours in Accounting (majoring in tax) at the University of Johannesburg.

2.How were you discovered  as a model? 
Since I was a teenager, I was always offered to join agencies when scouts would see me at the malls. In university, I finally decided to join an agency after my friends convinced me to.

3.How do you feel on the runaway? 
There is an adrenalin rush.

4.Whats one of the most interesting shoots that you've done? 
A test shoot with Xavier Saer when there was actual fire in a random field and we drove past it at first and then went back for it to form part of my shoot.

5.Did you build your portfolio before being signed by an agency or were you spotted by a scout?  and what is the name of your agency? 
I was spotted first and then I built a portfolio with my first agency in the vaal but then I had to rebuild a portfolio with my second agency first and then join Heads model agency.

6.You have an amazing portfolio,which of the project you have worked on are your  most proud moments and why? 
Fashion weeks and all of them are my pride but a legit captain is the main one.

7.What do you find the most challenging about working in the fashion industry? 
I haven't come across too many challenges as of yet. One must just remain passionate.

8.How do you stay in shape? 
I workout. Playing competitive netball has been helpful and I love running. One doesn't need a gym.
Eating well is also very important and maintaining a balanced lifestyle.

9.Do you have a skin care routine?
I moisturise my skin daily, and keep hydrated by drinking lots of water and eating healthily.

10.How would you define your personal style? 
Simple and minimal which is classic and personal preference (not trendy styles).

11.Do you have any wardrobe staples? 
A pair of jeans, leather jacket, jumpsuits, converse All stars, heels, white T's are necessary.

12.Who is your style icon? 
Victoria Beckham.

13.What is the must haves for this season? 
Always sun glasses, oversized tops/ T-shirt dresses, jumpsuits, sandal heels.

14.Tell us a little about your Miss South Africa journey? 
Definitely a growing experience that propels you to want to achieve more.

15.What is the difference between Miss Sundowns and Miss South Africa? 
There are more similarities in that they both grow you. Give you platform to inspire a nation. With being a Sundowns ambassador, I will get the chance to realise my dreams in working in sports, something that will help alleviate poverty, grow youth development, education and is very involved with uniting the people of South Africa.

16.You are now Miss Sundowns 2014, How does that feel? 
I feel privileged and blessed. Excited too.

17.What advise would you give to aspiring models?
Believe in yourself and your abilities.  Know your worth and know that what you want to achieve is attainable through hard work and persistence.  The sky is the limit

By: Tebogo Sheela
tebogo@starstudded.co.za

Congratulations Matlala!

No comments:

Post a Comment